So, you’ve just got engaged and you are absolutely beaming with happiness. Then it hits you, “OMG, I need a venue and I need it now!” I know it can be very tempting to book the first thing that is available but before you start to panic try and keep a few of these tips in mind when choosing your wedding venue:
1) Budget Budget Budget – You and your hunny need to decide on a budget and stick with it! Working out a budget early on will help you to shortlist potential wedding venues. Food and alcohol normally take up quite a large chunk of your budget so remember to include it in your calculations dolls!
2) No church in the wild (sorry I was trying to be clever with a Jay Z reference) – Deciding what type of ceremony you would like will highlight the area in which you should look for a wedding venue as your wedding reception venue should ideally be within a 20 – 25 minute radius of the church or civil ceremony location.
3) Talk and talk and then talk some more – COMMUNICATE PEOPLE! Maybe you want something outdoor in the summertime and maybe he wants it at his grandmas barn…either way speak with one another and decide whats best for both of you! it is key to chat with your other half about the sort of wedding you would like and be prepared to compromise if you have different ideas. This could help avoid disagreements later!
4) For the love of guests – Make sure to think about all the extra costs that may be involved for some of your guests. If you want to avoid incurring expensive taxi charges and hotel bills for them or coach costs for you, look for a wedding venue near to where the majority of your guests live. Or if you have friends or family coming far away then see if the hotel can give a special rate for your lovely guests.
5) How many peeps? – Make sure that you and your hunny have a rough idea of guest numbers before you start looking for a wedding venue or be prepared to alter your guest count. This should avoid the disappointment of visiting a beautiful wedding venue only to find out it is too big/small for your wedding.
6) The Date – If you and your hunny decided on a date for your wedding and it’s set in stone, then check the availability of that date before you visit. If you’re flexible about the day of the week, month, season, or even the year of your wedding you’ll have a much wider choice of venues.